This week’s episode covers Instagram newsfeed changes, Google updates to Rich Cards, AMP and Search Console and Amazon Echo news.
- Instagram’s algorithmic feed will officially roll out over the next month and Instagram introduces business pages for profiles
- Google AMP has reached 125 million documents & is expanding to apps & recipe pages
- Google upgrades rich snippets to rich cards
- Takeaway: currently only available for food and movie listings, these rich cards are on a carousel listing as opposed to an image net to your result. This is huge because you get punched up to the top of the page, right away, simply for adding structured data to your page. Now, this is only for movies and food, but google has update their ensure structured data platform, giving you much more insights and clarity into how you can use schema to improve visibility.mI’m currently using product and review markups to pull stars, pricing and ratings into the SERPs and im seeing an instant bump in traffic due to clicks.
- Link: https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/search-gallery
- Google says page speed ranking factor to use mobile page speed for mobile sites in upcoming months
- GSC undergoing major upgrades:
- Will now be able to track Knowledge Graph, local and Rich Snippets in the Search Console.
- Will be able to group websites by “property sets”, which lets you group things together for Search Analytics reporting.
“Search Console is introducing the concept of “property sets,” which let you combine multiple properties (both apps and sites) into a single group to monitor the overall clicks and impressions in search within a single report”
- 1/3 of mobile searches are local, Google brings “Promoted Pins” to Maps. Recently Google began showing ads in the Local Finder. Now, the company is introducing “promoted pins” or “promoted locations” on Maps (below, left).
- Takeaway: I think this is a huge opportunity for marketers. Personally, I search Google Maps on my phone directly when looking for local stuff like a haircut or coffee, i always bypass google. Coupled with the new, sleek, mobile and customizable local pages, it can effectively become like a 2nd website to you. I always like testing out new ad products, bc it allows you to get in while the cost is still low.
- Link: http://searchengineland.com/saying-third-mobile-searches-local-google-brings-new-ads-maps-250278
- Apple building Amazon Echo competitor, will open Siri to third-party apps
- Takeaway: Google, Amazon, Apple are all pushing hard in voice search. Even though SIRI fucking sucks, it will get better and voice search will be something we need to optimize for in the very near future.
- Google launches ALLO, an AI and deep learning driven messaging platform learn your style and become your daily assistant.
- Takeaway: Again, this is keeping up with the Jonses. not long ago FB announced their plans with FB messenger, i expect Apple and even amazon to have their own in the coming months.
- Link: https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/allo-duo-apps-messaging-video.html